Translation & Localization Style Guides
(Language & Translation, Translator Cloud)
Style guides help maintain the consistency in style, tone, phrasing for a company’s translation.
Elements of Translation Style Guides
Whenever a translator, an editor or a proofreader makes a choice that affects consistency, the choice should be recorded in a glossary or style guide.
Translation style guides should contain every choice that can not be recorded in a translation glossary or a translation memory.
The major elements of translation style guides include the following:
- Language-specific and client preferences
- Common errors to be avoided
Effective translation style guides can vary in length and detail, as exemplified by the following downloadable style guides from the IT industry:
- Google’s Translation Style Guide: a single guide for all languages that is simple and concise
- Oracle and Sun’s Language Style Guides: guides in 11 languages, each of at least moderate length
- Microsoft’s Language Style Guides: guides for 90+ languages, each of varying length
Other international organizations and governments with respectable translation teams have also made their translation style guides available online for download:
- The World Bank Translation Style Guide: English, French, Arabic, Spanish,Russian
- The European Commission Translation Style Guides: English, Danish, Finnish,Portuguese, Slovene, Spanish, Swedish, and other languages
Tags: Translation Style Guides